At Home Activities
Make the best of our stay at home days with these four boredom busters, suitable for all ages! Each activity requires basic materials you might find around the house.
- Real leaves
- Paper or fabric
- Paint brushes
- Poster Paint (for paper)
- Acrylic or fabric paint (for fabric)
- Rolling pin or rubber brayer
- Collect leaves from your garden of all different shapes and sizes. We recommend ones that are reasonably flat and have prominent vein textures.
- Protect your work surface by covering it with newspaper. Prepare the paint colours; add a touch of water so that the paint is spreadable but not runny.
- Using a paint brush paint the underside of the leaf until the entire surface is covered (you can use different colours on one leaf).
- Take the leaf and place it painted side down on your fabric or paper. Delicately place a piece of paper or towel on top. Use a rolling pin or rubber brayer to apply pressure as you roll across the paper.
- Remove the top piece of paper then carefully peel the leaf from the paper to reveal your print.
- Repeat the process using various colours and leaf shapes until your masterpiece is complete. Allow the paint to dry.
- Real leaves
- Crayons or oil pastels
- Collect leaves from your garden of various shapes and sizes.
- Position a leaf vein side up on a flat, hard surface.
- Place a sheet of plain paper over the leaf.
- Using the side of a crayon or oil pastel gently rub over the leaf. The image will slowly start to take shape as you continue over the entire leaf.
- Repeat the process using different colours and leaf shapes until your page is complete.